Friday, July 14, 2017

Iceberg Illusion

For my third post I will share the Iceberg Illusion. This is a pretty common poster, but it is one of my favorites. My science teacher desk at the front of the room is covered with many of my favorite quotes and posters including this one. They are all related to growth mindset and persistence.


The point behind the Iceberg Illusion is that we see the success of others, but we rarely see what all that person had to go through to achieve success. I think many students (and people in general) are often discouraged by the success of others, my students seem to have a faulty perception of that success as being "easy" for others when in reality success has been earned. I really try to enforce this understanding with my players and students, that in order to "succeed" you will almost certainly experience all of the things that are under water, " what people don't see."

I think this next image is relatable.

2 comments:

  1. Robert, I liked this post because it's one of those things society just doesn't seem to understand about our profession. The amount of work that goes into a single lesson, especially as a beginner teacher or one who is not strong in the world of technology and then told to become ;) It's also one of my many frustrations as an adviser of a club (Students for Charity). I find myself doing most of the work while the students just show up without putting in the work. I may use this at one of my meetings. So thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the iceberg analogy, too! It really is such a great representation to showcase that it does not matter what people see that equals your success. It is all about what you do behind the scenes that people never see. They only see the "final product." I'm excited to see what else comes from this blog!

    P.S. Never read that quote at the end before, but I really like it!!

    ReplyDelete