Wednesday, July 12, 2017

What is Mindset?

Instead of narrowing my topic to Growth Mindset, I wanted to generically define the term Mindset, first. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, Mindset is "a mental attitude or inclination." What this means is that when any person approaches, for example, a task, what is their attitude prior to beginning? If said person chooses to have a negative attitude prior to completing the task it is reasonable to assume that said person is unlikely to experience success. In my explanation I was careful to emphasize choice, because it is my belief that regardless of the task we have the choice of how we will proceed.

For my first blog post, I will share the Fish Philosophy that was adopted at Crawford Central School District where I teach. It is a very simple philosophy, where FISH does not represent an acronym, but rather the origin of the philosophy. There are four principles that make up fish philosophy, located in the image below. I try to apply these principles in my class and everyday life.
https://prezi.com/mf7euoh0uatl/copy-of-fish-philosophy/

For more information on Fish Philosophy including its origin here are links to the website, book and video.
  1. http://www.fishphilosophy.com/fish-philosophy-story/
  2. http://www.fishphilosophy.com/product/fish-the-book/
  3. https://youtu.be/_AAQT6ifGys



1 comment:

  1. I love this philosophy. I also like that this is being implemented at a building level, so all students can get involved. Center Avenue Community School, the building I teach in is currently working toward achieving Tier 2 Supports with Positive Behavioral Intervention & Supports (PBIS). Our building climate and rules revolve around three principles: Be Safe, Be Respectful and Be Responsible. As our building houses both an Emotional Support Program and an Alternative Education Program, we focus heavily on positive school climate and rewarding positive behavior. We have seen a lot of success with this program thus far!

    ReplyDelete