Thursday, July 13, 2017

Train Ugly

Train Ugly is a mindset developed by Trevor Ragan that builds off of growth mindset. In addition to being a teacher, I have coached girls and boys volleyball over the past seven years and I stumbled across Train Ugly. The name sort of says it all, but the gist is that whenever you do something for the first time you are going to be bad at it and that is ok/normal. Train Ugly encourages you to step outside of your comfort zone because that is where learning happens. The website, http://trainugly.com/, has a ton of resources (videos, infographics, workshop opportunities, etc.). I have began to integrate the Train Ugly mantra into my coaching, teaching, and my personal life.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I was this type of athlete and struggle with the fact that my now 13 year old son is not of this mind set. I will use your post as I continue to talk to him about his work ethic and sports.
    Thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Train Ugly is something that can be used in the classroom and on the playing field. Kids are often afraid to take risks and try new things or mess up! I see this in the classroom all of the time. I also see this with my daughter who plays volleyball. When she first learned how to jump serve she wouldn't do it in a game because she was afraid to miss her serve. It's tough to get kids to step outside of their comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete